Sunday, December 28, 2014

DIY Pawprint Ornament


























My grandparents are always so hard to buy for. I know if I ask them what they want they'll say nothing, they have everything they need, a roof over their head, clothes on their back, family, friends, food.... but there's no way you can't just not get them nothing.

This year, with having Chestnut, I thought it would be great to make them an ornament while she's still a puppy. I wanted to do this with Peaches and Benji but like had other plans before I had the chance to do it.

All you need is a half a cup of corn starch, 1 cup of baking soda, and 3/4  cup of water.

I didn't have a complete cup of baking soda, I was a few table spoons off, but it still worked! So if you don't have an exact cup of baking soda, that's okay, take out a bit of the cornstarch and you'll be okay[:

You mix it all together in a saucepan over low/medium heat until it starts to thicken. This can take a little while, I almost thought it wasn't gonna work and gave it a few more minutes and it started clumping together. When it starts to clump I stirred it till it started to get like mashed potatoes and took it off the heat and continued to stir till it was all mixed together then put it in a bowl with a damp paper towel draped over it until it cooled.

Once it's cooled you can roll it out or form it in any way you like. I found it best to roll it on wax paper to help when it came time to clean up.

Lay out your pieces and let them harden, over night is best.

Coat them in modge podge and your set to go.

You could also paint them or draw on the with a sharpie. Whatever you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment