Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Series of Unfortunate Events Book 1-3 by Lemony Snicket - Review






Just recently I've gone back to reading the first 3 books of The Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket and I thought I'd right up a quick review while it's still decently fresh in my mind.


The book I have is the first three books in one. The Bad Beginning(book 1), The Reptile Room(book 2), and The Wide Window(book 3). I'm sure most of the 80's- early or mid 90's kid have heard of this series or at least seen the movie that Jim Carrey stared in.

Now, book one. The Bad Beginning. Their is three children, the Baudelaire's. Violet, the oldest daughter, she's an inventor, you'll know when she's trying to invent something because she always ties her hair up in a ribbon. Klaus, the middle child, he's a reader, he reads everything. And Sunny, the youngest daughter and baby. She has four teeth that she bites everything with. The Baudelaire children lost their parents in a horrible accident and are requested to be looked after by family members, Mr. Poe, a cough-a-holic banker who watches after their families fortune, tries to find them a good guardian who can watch after them.
First guardian, Count Olaf. A very tall scrawny evil man who is obsessed with eyeball shaped....things! He's has a theater crew that are just as wretched as himself. Count Olaf is very much aware of the Baudelaire's fortune and is determined to get it by marrying Violet in one of his plays.

~~ Review ~~

I really liked this book, it wasn't drawn out or boring, the only thing that I don't really mind is the whole 'in which this word means ___' which I think most people who've read the series have found a love/hate relationship with it. BUT I really do like how it was written out.
It is a little more darker than what I had remember, but it has been years since I've read the series. And there is name calling of 'idiots' and what not every here and there, so if you are against that, than... now you know.

Book Two, The Reptile Room

After the Baudelaire's dealed with their wonderful Count Olaf, Mr. Poe had taken them to their beloved Uncle Monty, an amazing sounding herpetologist, that prefers to eat dinner together in the dining room and make coconut cream cake along with giving the children their own room, and planning to take them on his trip to Peru with his new, fill-in for Gustav, assistant Stephano.
They all study together in Monty's reptile room where he has books and books of all the reptiles he's come across, along with a collection of different venoms, oh, and his discovery of a giant, giant blak snake that he's decided to call 'The Incredibly Deadly Viper'.

~~ Review ~~

This is probably my absolute most favorite book so far. I love Uncle Monty, and dare do I say, I wish he was one of my Uncle's too. How could would he be? To spend a day studying different creatures with? Anywho. Again. One of my top favorites. I don't feel like this one is as dark, it's just more of a book with an unfortunate event rather than something morbid. Also, there is use of swearing(just one word), but I still feel the need to mention it.


Book Three, The Wide Window

The children are off again to find their newest guardian. Queue Aunt Josephine, the lady who is absolutely terrified of everything. The oven, don't touch the phone, it make electrocute you, oh and realtors. Do. Not. Under any circumstances, mention a relator.
The kids spend their evenings having cucumber soup and having proper grammar lessons, especially Sunny, poor poor Sunny.
One day at the market their Aunt runs into a rather decent man named Captain Sham who owns his own boat sailing company business.
After a bit, Captain Sham calls Aunt Josephine to set up a surprise for the children that they aren't too thrilled about, but that's okay, Captain Sham actually saves their lives! While...possibly... not saving anothers...

~~ Review ~~


This one was defiantly darker. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped a few times. This book too has the name calling. My favorite part of this book was when they got to the cave and the conversation Klaus had to have with their damsel in distress. I thought that that was pretty funny in a ha-ha kinda way.



All in all, I really do like these books, I don't have the fourth or fifth book so I'm waiting to get that one before I continue the series, I'm not one of those people who can just skip it an go on with the series, I have to know everything that happened in-between, haha.

This is a link to the box set inc case you're interested in this series. Also, I promise that I'm not affiliated with Barnes & Noble, as much as I'd love to be, I am not.

No comments:

Post a Comment