Friday, September 11, 2015

Eating Fruit Loops For The First Time!





Before you think I was some deprived child growing up, that's not true. I actually had Fruit Loops a lot, it was one of my favorite cereals.
Obviously if you've noticed the theme of gluten free foods on my blog, you'd know of course, that I eat gluten free. I've ate gluten free for a little over two years.

The reason I went gluten free is because I was (and still am) having stomach issues where it seemed like everything I ate was giving me a stomach ache. I got to the point where I was only eating bagels and english muffins (which by the way, is not good for the waistline, don't make that mistake). My mom suggested after hearing on of her college friends going gluten free for the same reason, and it working for her, that I should give it a go. So I did.
Two years later, I'M STILL HURTING.

I can't tell if the pain is worse, or less, or more often, or less. The time between now and then are too far apart to compare it. All I know is that it still hurts.

Last Friday I came to the decision to stop eating gluten free strictly, which is actually pretty scary to think of. The reasons being because of my stomach still hurting, and I'm just not happy eating it strictly. [Avegers cereal? HELLO!!] This doesn't mean I'm gonna stop eating gluten free foods because that's just silly when I like some of them. I'm gonna try hard to keep healthy though, which is gonna be hard cause I'm excited to eat cereal, crackers, Poptarts, and Chex Mix.


I just wanted to point something out. Especially to those who can't choose if they eat gluten free or not. I haven't ate sugary cereal in 4+ years, not even Fruity Pebbles (okay, I may have got two boxes in the time frame, but mind you I threw one out [after it was half eaten] after realizing how sickly sweet it is, and looking at the ingredients. Did you know Yellow Dye is one of the worst/toxic things you can eat? It's made out of tar!). I figured one of the best ways to transition back was to start with cereal because I could control the amount, eating small bits of gluten and building it up so I wouldn't freak my system out. And Mom got me those single serve boxes of Kellogg's cereal. Fruit Loops being one of my former favorites, I figured I'd start there.
I opened the box, pouring a few pieces into my bowl, grabbed a piece, chewed, and was so confused. It tastes nothing like I remember. I was kind of disappointed. It was so sugary, and it left a funny after taste. It was just so unexpected.

I just wanted to point out that as frustrating as it can be not to be able to eat it, you really aren't really missing anything!

Once my system is used to gluten I'm gonna try and stay away from white flour and that (after I get the idea out of my mind that I'm gonna try one of every cereal, Chex Mix, and Pop Tart I can get my hands on [that doesn't have peanut butter or cinnamon, of course]).


On top of all this though. I am really striving to be healthy, getting in fruits and vegetables before a piece of chocolate or some ice cream. The 'natural' cereals over the not-so-natural probably with a a ton of GMO's. But hey, life is too short not to treat yourself.

















No comments:

Post a Comment