Saturday, September 27, 2014

Here's to: Benji







Benji was my aunt's dog. She adopted him from a shelter and we believe he's(believed to be) a Corgi/Brittany/something mix.

My aunt lives in another state so Benji's never really been a huge part of my life like he'd been hers, I think he was adopted as a buddy for her other dog Ranger, an English Setter that was blind, but boy was he gorgeous. After Ranger passed away my Aunt had come up for a visit and it turned out that Benji would be staying with my Grandparents for a while.

This is when Benji became my best friend. With Peaches being an outdoor dog that was too stubborn to really train, Benji was the exact opposite, he liked it, but he also had to be in the mood for it. He was a hard one to get around, he wasn't exactly the friendliest, he was a snapper there in the beginning which made my mom worried about me handling him, it didn't really bother me too much.

I started working with him and slowly he started to become 'my dog'. He was my buddy, he wasn't as attached to anyone else. He was pretty good outside, he didn't take off too awful much so I could let him off the runner and we'd run around the yard attempting to play fetch where I'd toss the ball and he'd take off with it so I'd have to go and get it.

He learned about a dozen different tricks that he'd have to do at least five of them before he got a treat. We took him to Petco one Christmas with a friend and we got a picture together, and he got a treat.

Thankfully he wasn't picky when it came to treats, he'd eat almost anything except for a select few, which was probably dangerous for my wallet because anytime I had extra money it would get spent on dog treats!

After a few years of him staying with us my Aunt decided it was time for him to go back with her, devastating me, but he was her dog, there wasn't much I could do.

He didn't end up staying there long, he started to get an allergic reaction to something outside, his hair started to fall out and he was scratching himself up till he was all scabby.
My Aunt brought him back up and he took a trip to the vets where he was given a special shampoo and medication that he had to be bathed in once a week, which ended up being twice cause he stank so bad. Slowly all his hair started to come back, but he wasn't the same dog, not mentally. It was like he was there physically, but he wasn't the same Benji I had known.

He passed away a month after Peaches, thankfully it was in his sleep in his happy place of being in my grandparents bedroom.


Facts:


Name: Benji

Age & Birthday: Because he was adopted, we weren't sure, neither was my aunt. We think he was around 14.

Color: Brown & White

Fav Food: Science Diet

Fav Treat: Beggin' Strips - Bacon

Fav Toy: He had a blue christmas bear with white snowflakes on it

Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor

Tricks? Yes, Sit, Sit up, Stand, roll over, lie down, shake, paw, crawl

Quirk: He played hide and seek with me

No comments:

Post a Comment