Monday, July 13, 2015

Ritter Sport Dark Chocolate with Whole Hazelnuts | Review





My Mom was telling me that when her and my Dad were living in Germany that they would get Ritter Sports, the Peppermint was my Dad's favorite.
Unfortunately, when you live in the states it's hard to buy chocolate/things from over seas that it doesn't cost a kajillion dollars. I don't live near one of those fancy stores either that carries all those fancy over-seas things, either.

Although, my Wal*Mart does carry the Dark Chocolate with Whole Hazelnuts. This one, and I believe it's the milk chocolate version, are the only two kinds that I've seen around where I live. I know the brand carries a ton of different flavors though.

To begin with. Ritter Sport is a German chocolate. The brand stands for using high-quality raw ingredients and processing methods.
Which I love, like I've said before. I don't care for the whole HFCS thing.

Starting off with the ingredients, their isn't many: Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Hazelnuts, Cocoa Butter, Butterfat, Soy Lecithin, Food Grade Shellac Wax, Natural Flavor.


Starting off, the chocolate is bitter, but there is a slight sweetness to it. I don't think of hazelnuts when I eat it though. I think it tastes a lot like peanut M&M's, which I don't really care for. However, if peanut M&M's are your thing, this would probably make a great somewhat-healthier alternative. Unfortunately I can't get my mind unstuck from that idea, making it a not-so-favorite chocolate bar. Even though it's dark chocolate, I don't think it's the best of quality-meaning that if you were someone who only eats dark chocolate for the health benefits, this probably shouldn't be the first bar to pick. It gets soft easily at body temperature meaning that there is more cocoa butter in it than the actual bean itself that contains all of the health benefits.

I do like that the chocolate squares are in small pieces (something I should have gotten a picture of),  it makes it feel okay to eat a few at once and not feel like you're over indulging or makes you feel guilty for only having three pieces. I also like the logo printed on them. I'm not sure why, I like the Cadbury logo that's molded onto their bars as well.

Although I probably won't be getting this for myself again anytime soon, I would recommend it to someone else, I think the quality of the chocolate is pretty decent. It would be a great stocking stuffer, or just as a little gift. They aren't expensive, their around the $2.50 mark so you aren't spending an exorbitant amount of money either on a single bar.

All in all, I give the bar 3.5 stars out of 5. I would give it more if I didn't think that it tasted like peanut M&M's. Also, the quality of the dark chocolate doesn't meet to my own personal standards. Again, I do think it is a good bar, and would recommend it to a friend to try.



No comments:

Post a Comment